A few months ago, gripped by baking fever, I purchased Mary Berry's Baking Bible. I quickly decided to embark upon a mission to bake everything in the book, and turn myself from an occasional baker into a bit of an expert. My Grandad Ern was a Master Baker by trade; the man responsible for introducing Danish Pastries to England in fact, and I wish it had occurred to me to spend more time learning from him, rather than simply enjoying the fruits of his effortless labours. This project is almost a way of making amends for that; I'd like to follow in his footsteps (if not in my career, at least as a hobby) and continue the proud heritage of baking in my family.
I credit my friend Rachel with the idea to write a blog about my baking exploits, hoping that there will be more successes than failures as I attempt all 213 of the Queen of Baking's recipes.
So as not to bore the husband with a monotonous diet of sponges, followed by weeks of biscuits, I've decided to tackle the recipes by selecting the first bake from each chapter, followed by the second recipe and so on. I'm not going to pick and choose; I'm determined to face my baking demons and learn how to do everything baking-related, even if the consequences are disastrous!
Everything will be photographed, with comment about how I found baking it, and a husband rating (to be taken with a pinch of salt as he has a very selective cake-tooth).


Monday 20 March 2017

88. Cornish Fairings

When I still had my own very special 'bun in the oven', I decided that I would try and reserve a weekly baking slot with my eldest daughter. I trawled through the list of bakes still to be completed, and highlighted those that looked suitable for her to be involved in the making of. Turns out, there are loads! She might not fancy eating all of them (she won't touch anything with dried fruit in, for example), but I know she'll still enjoy the process of making them, and licking the spoons.
So, last week, I decided to get cracking on our list and gave her the choice of two biscuit recipes for which we had all the ingredients. These were the ones she chose, and they turned out to be ideal for us to make together. She enjoyed doing the measuring and rubbing the butter and flour together. She also helped out with rolling the biscuits into balls and lining them up on the baking tray.
They didn't need very long in the oven as they're very thin once they spread out, and I reduced the baking time to suit our unreliable oven. She got to see the fruits of our labours before her interest was diverted elsewhere, which was good. I baked in two batches and got over 30 biscuits out of it. They turned out like thin gingernuts (and tasted like them) and were very crispy, with a bit of chew at the end, without getting too stuck in the teeth.
Baker's verdict: easy to make and I was impressed with how they turned out looking like shop-bought biscuits. I'll definitely make these again, but give some of them to other people. We're still ploughing through them 4 days later!
Husband rating: 7/10 - very nice, simple biscuits. I enjoyed the crunchiness and chewiness at the same time. Would be nice if they were twice as thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment