A few months ago, gripped by baking fever, I purchased Mary Berry's Baking Bible. I quickly decided to embark upon a mission to bake everything in the book, and turn myself from an occasional baker into a bit of an expert. My Grandad Ern was a Master Baker by trade; the man responsible for introducing Danish Pastries to England in fact, and I wish it had occurred to me to spend more time learning from him, rather than simply enjoying the fruits of his effortless labours. This project is almost a way of making amends for that; I'd like to follow in his footsteps (if not in my career, at least as a hobby) and continue the proud heritage of baking in my family.
I credit my friend Rachel with the idea to write a blog about my baking exploits, hoping that there will be more successes than failures as I attempt all 213 of the Queen of Baking's recipes.
So as not to bore the husband with a monotonous diet of sponges, followed by weeks of biscuits, I've decided to tackle the recipes by selecting the first bake from each chapter, followed by the second recipe and so on. I'm not going to pick and choose; I'm determined to face my baking demons and learn how to do everything baking-related, even if the consequences are disastrous!
Everything will be photographed, with comment about how I found baking it, and a husband rating (to be taken with a pinch of salt as he has a very selective cake-tooth).


Saturday 17 November 2012

29. Classic Sticky Gingerbread

Just out of Bonfire Night season, it seemed appropriate to have a go at this bake, made for visiting friends (and now seasoned cake testers!). I've always liked gingerbread so was looking forward to making and eating this. Unlike the gingerbread I made earlier in my project, this one didn't require the inclusion of porridge oats. I was relieved about that, as I didn't really enjoy the 'chanky' texture produced by the oats in the last recipe. This one just relied on the usual cake mix, plus treacle and golden syrup.

Something that troubled me slightly about the recipe was Mary's description at the beginning - a warning that if it sank in the middle, it would be because you'd been 'a bit heavy-handed with the treacle'. I wasn't sure how that works when you measure ingredients as rigidly as I do, using electronic scales, and when a precise quantity is given in the recipe. What's a girl supposed to do? I followed the recipe; when it first came out of the oven (see above) it was well-risen, but sinkage followed (see right), and it seemed that the treacle was responsible. I felt frustrated by this; what's the point in following a recipe if it dooms you to failure? As if I'd contemplate tinkering with quantities at this stage of my baking career! I did worry that I'd not baked it for long enough, but wasn't convinced by this.

The worst thing that happened was that the cake was quite squidgy in the middle. There are worse cake-crimes, and actually the gooiness was quite nice. Better 'sticky' (as the recipe title dictates) than crumby and dry, surely. Indeed, one of our guests requested a sticky slice from the middle of the cake rather than a piece I labelled as 'more done'. It was quite difficult to slice, with it being quite sticky, but I managed to get it into 16 good-sized squares. We had a slice each cold (forks needed), and then on subsequent days had it warmed up with custard. It tasted great both ways.
Baker's verdict: easy to make; handling golden syrup and treacle is always a bit of a nuisance, but I enjoy the whole 'melting' process. Tasted really, really good. It also kept well: I had my last piece 5 days after baking it. I'd definitely make this again, and maybe reduce the treacle by 50g to see what happens...
Husband rating: 9/10 -  delicious cake, tasty, moist and great with custard warmed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment